Brief History of Monck Public School

In 1898, S. S. No. 7 Town Line School began later to be known as Monck Public School. The 1½ acres of land was bought from Isabella and Edmund Miller for $150.00. At this time, a one-room wooden school house was built.
In 1915, a second room was added and the entire school was bricked over. In 1955, they stopped using the school. Another parcel of land to the north was purchased from Thomas Ball for $300.00 The school building was demolished and a new 5-room building complete with a Principal’s Office was built. Monck received it’s first portable this year as well.

 

In 1964, another parcel of land was purchased from Thomas Ball for the sum of $600.00

 

In 1972, there were 5 teachers on staff for 160 students plus the Principal. They were even blessed with 2 TV’s.

 

In 1973, an addition was added that consisted of a Library, Gymnasium, Senior Kindergarten, Staff Room, Office and 5 classrooms. This facility of 27,000 square feet endured until 1991.

 

In 1991, another addition was built consisting of a new 7,000 square foot Gymnasium, 10 classrooms and extensive renovations to existing classrooms and offices. The project totalled approximately $4,680,000.00. About one-third of the cost ($1,620,000.00) was funded through the Ministry of Education. Monck Public School is now 54,000 square feet which includes twenty-two classrooms and 6 portables.

Principals:

Mildred Mooney – 1915 – 1919 Don Snider – 1962 – 1972
Elsie Yeo – 1919 – 1923 Walter Poulstrup – 1972 – 1980
Hester Codkin – 1923 – 1925 Lew Holmes – 1980 – 1986
Marjorie White – 1925 – 1930 Steve Binstock – 1986 – 1988
Hilda Clarke – 1930 – 1938 Barbara Lupton – 1988 – 1989
Helen Muddan – 1038 – 1942 Brian Mathers – 1989 – 1992
Helvi Macki – 1942 – 1944 Dave Rasmussen – 1992 – 1993
Reta Brown – 1944 – 1945 Brian Mathers – 1993 – 1995
Eleanor Huffman – 1945 – 1949 Steve Binstock – 1995 – 2000
Neil Brodie – 1949 – 1954 Brad Veitch – 1995 – 1996
Harold Taylor – 1954 – 1958 Peter Cross – 2000 – 2006
Gordon Black – 1958 – 1960 Paul Goldring – 2006 – 2011
Ronald E. Snider – 1960 – 1962 Robert Dennys –  2011 – 2013
 Caroline Pattison – 2013  – to present
   

 

 The Junior Kindergarten program was introduced in 1987 with a total of 41 students registering that year.
The French Immersion program began in 1988 with a total of 26 students registering for the Grade 1 class.

 2007 – 2008 Addition

Our newest addition features eight classrooms and one computer lab and houses 200 students, almost one-third of the school population. This addition eliminated the use of 7 portable classrooms.

Our school building is now 25,000 square metres or 75,000 square feet – included are 31 classrooms, a library, computer room and a double gym.

This new wing was made possible through provincial capital funding available to increase classrooms due to the reduction in class size in the primary grades to a 20:1 ratio.